Saturday 22 August 2009

The Pearl Module


This is a module I have been using for the past five years. It is edited annually to accomodate the feedback given by students. Thus far, it has helped my students to deal with "The Pearl". Next year will not see any novels and I'm sure many teachers will be relieved. The BPK prescribed too many literature texts previously in what should be a component of the mainstream syllabus. Imagine having to deal with six poems and five short stories in Fm4! It's maddening! Teachers are pressured to spend more time teaching literature than the four language skills. It has become literature with a big 'L'. Well, the good news is in 2010, there will be fewer texts to teach and I'm one happy teacher :)

9 comments:

nurulhaza said...

nice!
good!!
wish to have n share dat.. :)

ejatidiaz said...

Happy Fasting in Ramadhan al-Mubarak!!
Hopefully this is the best Ramadhan we have..

Rahmah said...

tx nurul. would be nice if we can swap modules. that way i can also learn something new :)

Rahmah said...

salam ramadhan to u to rozaidi. yes let's hope this Ramadhan brings God's kind blessings.

Anonymous said...

Hi, Madam Rahmah. I am a students from Sabah. Found your blog by chance.Just wonder what did you say that "Next year will not see any novels..." . Does it mean that next year we no longer need to learn any novel? Didnt hear my teacher talk about this. Thanks.

Rahmah said...

hi anonymous,
welcome to my blog. if you're still in form 4, you still need to do the novel next year. the new literature syllabus will begin with forms 1 and 4 2010. i have the list of texts but it's still confidential to teachers am afraid. all i can tell you at the moment is there are fewer texts and no novel (that is according to the list I got)

Anonymous said...

Morning Madam Rahmah. In that case that would mean I still have to study the Jungle of Hope next year. Err..Too thick for me. How lucky my juniors are. Anyway, thanks for the info.

Anonymous said...

Im still going to teach The pearl to my F5 students next year & very interested to use your module as reference..is it available online?

Rahmah said...

m sorry Mel, it's not available online. It's purely for my students. thanks for the enquiry anyway and welcome to my blog