Sunday 5 August 2012

Nostalgia (2)




I was eighteen I think this summer back in 1981. Retro isn't it? My housemates Azuar (Head of Dept in one SBP in Pahang), Jamaliah aka Jamal and Sallina (now principal) and I snapped this one right in front of our rented house. It was our second year in England while we were pursuing A-Level in Southend College of Technology. We had English with Mr Henry, Economics with what's his name...and Geography with Mr Cheshire. Let me let you in on a secret...I was truly happy to 'escape' Form 6 Geography in English College, Johor Bahru but to my horror, I found out I had to take it in England! We had Physical Geography too- I despised that. Not to mention European Geography. Alas never say die! I made it. And oh! I must add that I initially found it hard to adjust when I first arrived in England because all my housemates except Jamal were not into sports..they were into dancing and choir and the likes. Thank God Jamal was there and we both represented our college in a badminton tournament. We went in a van with other teammates and our coach (Lisa I think) and guess what..we beat them all hehehe...

But I've always had a soft spot for Literature despite it being my first exposure to English Literature back in 1980. Mr Henry had to be so convincing that I still remember some lines from Shakespeare's Othello, the moor of Venice, who in his soliloquy lamented...

She loved me for the dangers I had passed,
And I loved her that she did pity them.

And the Machiavellian Iago who reminded Othello thus:

O, beware, my lord, of jealousy;
It is the green-ey'd monster, which doth mock


I just love literature!!

Well, time sure flies...I remember Ruth (the caretaker of the college) who always made us feel welcomed. She would spread her arms wide every time she saw us at the foyer. We used to spend Christmas at Ruth's with Kak Zalina, who's one year our senior. And I remember KK (Tang Kok Keong) strumming the guitar while we were having apple pie and ice-cream. Those were the days!

Studies? I've said it over and over that A-level was the hardest exam I've ever sat for. Honest. My first degree was easier and my masters degree was plain sailing. It's hard to explain but it could be because my ten-year experience as a teacher helped me a lot while pursuing the M.A. Well, more old picts next time :) I've this bad habit of blogging when a lot of work needs to be done. Get your__moving Rahmah!!! O.K. O.K signing out...


p.s My green-striped Adidas sneakers...loved it!




The Thinking Teacher