Sunday 3 March 2013

Teacher Talk (30) : Open Marking?



From:
To: "rahmahs@yahoo.com"
Sent: Tuesday, February 26, 2013 9:14 PM
Subject: open marking


Salam Pn. Rahmah.

Thanks for your previous reply. It got me thinking. I plan to do open marking with my students from a low level class. Can I know how you conduct open marking in your class? How do you decide on what to focus and whatnot?

many thanks,
***


Second email


As an example, I get the students to do group writing activity. If they need to produce 5 paragraphs of a story, I'll have 5 groups, each works on one paragraph. Then, they write their paragraph on a mahjong paper, for instance, I paste it on the board and mark it in front of the students.
I hope my explanation is clear. =]

many thanks, 
***

My response



From: Rahmah Sayuti
To:
Sent: Tuesday, 26 February 2013, 13:45
Subject: Re: open marking


ok now i understand what you're trying to do. i once observed a teacher doing this in the classroom. however, there are some of the things you need to consider:

- font size on mah jong paper should be big enough for others to    
  see
- the language focus you would like to iron out. do not focus on 
  too many because poor learners lose focus easily
- getting the ss to point out the errors would be more effective
- group-writing may be dominated by those who are good. the 
  poorer ones are usually passive passengers. how do you address 
  this?






The Thinking Teacher



No comments: